For centuries, Mawnan Smith was a staging post for shipping goods and produce across the Helford River to the Lizard peninsula. The settlement prospered by attending to the wagons and horses, and the village boasted no less than four blacksmiths. It was these ‘smithies’ who gave their name to the village.
The Red Lion, with it’s thatched roof is the focal point of the village and has been here since the 17th Century. Most of the original features have been preserved, so there is a real feeling of history and days gone by when you visit.
We know it was already a well established hostelry in 1717 for when landlord Walter Lory died that year, the inventory of his “goods and chattels” included pewter dishes and porringers, candlesticks and cooking pots, stools, forms, benches and beds!
The main image shows US Troops outside the Red Lion. They were passing through Mawnan Smith during the D Day exercise at Trebah in December 1943. Image courtesy of Remember Falmouth.